Behavioral Health Treatment Services Locator
- The Behavioral Health Treatment Services Locator is an online source of information for persons seeking treatment facilities in the United States or U.S. Territories for substance use/addiction and/or mental health problems.
- The Behavioral Health Treatment Services Locator is a product of SAMHSA's Center for Behavioral Health Statistics and Quality (CBHSQ). The Locator is compiled from responses to CBHSQ's annual surveys of treatment facilities (the National Survey of Substance Abuse Treatment Services and the National Mental Health Services Survey).
- In response to the growing demand for treatment services, and to increase the visibility of treatment service providers, SAMHSA is sharing facility contact information from its Behavioral Health Treatment Services Locator with commercially available search engines to help facilitate greater access to mental health and substance use treatment services. Facility contact information includes only the facility's name, location address, phone number, and web site.
Eligible mental health treatment facilities include:
- Facilities that provide mental health treatment services and are funded by the state mental health agency (SMHA) or other state agency or department
- Mental health treatment facilities administered by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
- Private for-profit and non-profit facilities that are licensed by a state agency to provide mental health treatment services, or that are accredited by a national treatment accreditation organization (e.g., The Joint Commission, NCQA, etc.)
Eligible substance use and addiction treatment facilities must meet at least one of the criteria below:
- Licensure/accreditation/approval to provide substance use treatment from the state substance use agency (SSA) or a national treatment accreditation organization (e.g., The Joint Commission, CARF, NCQA, etc.)
- Staff who hold specialized credentials to provide substance use treatment services
- Authorization to bill third-party payers for substance use treatment services using an alcohol or drug client diagnosis
Facilities that are not eligible for the Behavioral Health Treatment Services Locator include:
- Facilities that provide either mental health or substance use treatment exclusively to persons who are incarcerated
- Facilities whose primary or only focus is the provision of services to persons with Mental Retardation (MR), Developmental Disability (DD), or Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI)
- Mental health professionals in private practice (individual) or in a small group practice not licensed or certified as a mental health clinic or (community) mental health center
- The Behavioral Health Treatment Services Locator displays the street address at which services are provided. Organizations delivering services at different locations are requested to supply information about the services at each location, although a central intake number may be displayed if requested.
- SAMHSA/CBHSQ makes every effort to ensure that the information is correct and up to date. All information is updated annually based on facilities' responses to the annual substance use and mental health facility surveys. SAMHSA/CBHSQ has designated representatives in each SMHA and SSA who are responsible for updating the status and location information for facilities in their jurisdictions. Facilities may also request to be listed or to change location information (see FAQs). Updates to facility names, addresses, telephone numbers, and services are verified. New facilities are screened for eligibility and services information is collected; the time from submission of a new eligible facility to its appearance on the Locator is about 3 months. The Locator database is updated weekly with verified changes and monthly with new facilities.